There are some projects that are better left to the professionals. Auto paint is one of these projects. It is important to know why painting your own car is not recommended if you do not have a background in auto body repairs. You are guaranteed to make a mess, but there are safety concerns as well. Here are five reasons why you should not paint your own car in Visalia, CA:
- Equipment: You will require sprayers and safety equipment, and nothing worth using is inexpensive. There are other considerations as well, including containment measures to keep paint away from your tool box and other items stored in your garage. For safety equipment, you require respirators and protective suits so you do not breathe in the fumes. Unless you plan to start an extensive car restoration hobby or open your own body shop, this investment is not worth it for the one paint job.
- Time: Car painting takes time. There is prep work, primer and painting. From there, you likely need to perform more painting until you wait a while for it to dry, and then polish it. Again, unless you plan on indulging in frequent car restoration or opening an auto body shop, you likely have other things you wish to do with your time. You probably have a job and need time for family and other activities. That makes the idea of spending a weekend doing a rushed paint job before work on Monday very unappealing.
- Difficulty: Unlike painting your bedroom walls, you do not just find an auto paint color and apply it. There is often mixing to get the right color and skill involved in applying it neatly. If you have high expectations and want your car to look new, it is unlikely you will accomplish this the first time you try to paint a car. As mentioned above, there is nothing quick about painting a car, and it involves a specific skill set to finish correctly.
- Health hazards: Auto paint is dangerous. You need a chemical-grade respirator to keep your lungs safe and protective equipment to keep it away from your skin, eyes and hair. Choosing to paint outside is not a solution, as that is a great way to get debris stuck in the wet paint on the car and share fumes with your neighbors. Most residential garages are tight, barely-ventilated spaces and are not safe for auto paint projects.
- Cost: Besides the cost of time and equipment, there is another expense to consider. If you mess up this project to the point where your car is not presentable, guess what? You will be calling a professional to fix it anyway! It is always more time consuming and expensive to fix mistakes than start fresh with painting a car. Unless you have the skills and experience, it is best to take your car to the auto body shop and ensure it is done right the first time.
If you need paint or collision repair, painting your own car is not recommended. Luckily, Tom’s Body & Paint, Inc. in Visalia, CA is here to help. Whether you wish to give your car an appearance upgrade or need repairs after a fender bender, we offer the expertise to make your car like-new again. Contact us today to schedule an estimate.
Categorised in: Auto Body Paint
This post was written by Writer