You’ve seen the damage the sun’s UV rays can do to your skin after spending too much time outdoors without sunscreen. But did you know that the sun has equally damaging effects on your car’s paint job? Sadly, it’s true. Those UV rays eat away at the paint, leaving it looking faded, chipped and even cracked. The good news is that you don’t have to drive around with a car that’s been affected by the sun. Keep reading to learn how you can protect car paint from the sun in Visalia, CA:
- Park in the shade: The best way to avoid sun damage is to stay out of the sun! Obviously, that’s not a possibility when you’re driving around town, but always parking in the shade or under a parking structure can help when you’re not driving your vehicle. On top of blocking the sun, covered parking spots protect your car from hail and other damaging weather.
- Invest in a car cover: Finding covered parking isn’t always a possibility, especially if your home doesn’t have a garage or carport. If that’s the case, it’s not a bad idea to purchase a car cover. These covers fit over your entire vehicle and effectively prevent sun damage on car paint in Visalia, CA.
- Wash often: A sparkling-clean vehicle looks great, and it’s also a lot less likely to get any sun damage. Regularly washing your car reduces the heat and oxidization of the sun, negating any effects of UV rays. Experts say that if you have to park in the sun while you’re at work, you should wash your car at least once a week.
- Hand dry: After your car has been thoroughly washed and rinsed, be sure to dry it with a soft towel. Hand drying ensures that the sun doesn’t combine with chemicals in the soap to wear out your paint. It’s also a good idea to wipe down your vehicle after a heavy rainstorm.
- Polish the exterior: On top of keeping your car clean, giving it a nice layer of wax is a good way to protect car paint from the sun in Visalia, CA. Wax essentially prevents UV rays from hitting your car’s paint, and if the paint is out of harm’s way, you won’t have to worry about fading or chipping. Talk to an auto body specialist about the right wax for your car.
- Touch up the paint: Despite your best efforts, your paint might still run into some issues. If you notice any chipping, fading or cracking, be sure to bring your car to a specialist for a quick touch-up. Fixing the paint before the problem gets out of hand will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
Don’t choose anyone but Tom’s Body & Paint, Inc. if you have sun damage on your car paint in Visalia, CA. In addition to repairing all sorts of collision damage, we’re experts in repairing and restoring paint. We guarantee you’ll be satisfied with the results after we’re done with your car!
Categorised in: Auto Body Paint
This post was written by Writer